Monday, May 13, 2013

Summertiiiime...and the living's easy

Not.  My friend and I have been frantically trying to figure out our summer plan before school ends!  For me (and G), we both work from home.  We have to find camps for D to fill up those summer days.  It's actually a little bit exciting finding the fun things to do for four year olds.  The challenge is just trying to coordinate schedules with D's bestie, M.

For those of you in the South Bay, here's what I found:


Family Theatre Inc in Hermosa Beach - http://www.familytheatreinc.com/

We took D to a recent production of The Sound of Music (our favorite musical - D has only seen the singing scenes, remember?  No media).  As a child, we never went to community plays.  My mom used to take us to the Chinese Opera...somewhat similar in the sense that it's sitting in the dark watching action on stage but man, I am really a BIG fan of community theater. I love that Waldorf encourages stage acting in the younger years as opposed to screen time.  I forget how beautiful it is to see all the hard work that goes into the costumes and the set decorations!  And I love to hear the singing live. I wish I had known about the Sound of Music production before we saw it so we could've enrolled D to be in that.  Well, thanks to Auntie S, D has seen Annie on TV so I think D will be just excited for this.

Maverick Farms Horse Camp - http://maverickfarms.net/

D was enrolled in this horse camp last summer.  I really liked how they ran it.  Everyone was super friendly, her staff (all teenagers) were knowledgable and very good with the kids.  I liked the activities they had - teaching the children about the various horses, horse parts, bridle and saddle parts, teaching them how to care for a horse and even riding time.  Very well coordinated.  My only gripe was that they served a large container full of CANDY for snack.  I disapprove of that.

This year, D is going to be enrolled in this horse - Mystic Canyon Stables.  Here's the Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/MysticCanyonStable/info

I hear Tiffany is a graduate of Del Sol, so I feel like her philosophy regarding teaching and children must be more in line with our own.  I also know they offer organic juices from Trader Joes, water and healthy snacks like pretzels and popcorn.  Ahhh, I like that much better.

Art Zone is a pretty cool spot - http://www.artzone4kids.com/

We don't have D enrolled in their art camp, but we've participated before on single occasions and it's just a good time.  Art Zone also holds ECHO Parenting classes for adults, if you're into that sort of stuff.  Personally, there are aspects that I see can probably be applicable to parenting older children with the ability for analytical thought but for toddlers, too much conversation and decision granting could probably be confusing for littles.  And as one parent once put it...ECHO parenting if not applied properly kind of looks more like non-parenting.  Ouch.

Then there's also Art 2 Grow on - http://www.art2growon.com/

They have several different offerings throughout the South Bay.  Incidentally, Art2Grow on will be operating out of Wilderness Park this year too, like Seeds of Joy.  Art2Grow on will operate on Mondays and our preschool/kindergarten will operate Tuesday through Friday.

Ballet anyone? Dance Forever Studio is great! - http://danceforeverstudio.com/

D is currently enrolled in dance classes here and she loves it.  We might enroll her in dance camp sometime this summer too.  Have not figured that out yet.

That's all I have for now.  I remember coming across a pretty cool music camp but I can't seem to recall it right now.  Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment