Friday, January 3, 2014

This tweet...really??!

"Being a dad is not hard work at all. When you love doing something this much, it never feels like work." @likeadad

This tweet was a "retweet" Umm, I am pretty sure I would not like to follow this guy. Clearly, his world view is all sunshine and rainbows. Yuck!

Really?? It never feels like work?


I really find it to be exhausting. I often daydream of the yesteryears of just going to work, hanging out, being able to jet out of town at a moment's notice. Being carefree...

I recently had a conversation with a mother of four where we were both agreeing that being a SAHM was a bit like Groundhog's Day. Every day is the same...wake up, tend to the kid(s), errands, dinner, bedtime routine. Bed. Just to wake up and do it all over again.

However, I can genuinely say that my life is absolutely fuller because I have my child. If anything, after the birth of my child, in an effort to be a person that is worthy of imitation, I have really had to take a good hard look at myself to make massive changes. I have had to work on my temper, my patience, my communication, my overall personality...and that is a big part of why I find being a parent so hard. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

So, of course, for this new year, my resolution is to continue to evolve as a person so that my child can continue to grow as I grow.

I grew up in a household where we hardly had respect for one another. Hugs and kisses and nurturing were hard to come by. My own mother never said, "I love you" until I was in my 30's when she was going through a divorce and realized how important love was.

I get it. Love and nurturing is very important and having that for my child is not as difficult as having it for my husband, which is just as important. It sets a good example for my daughter. I kind of get really irritated really quickly. Yeah, I'll have to work on that.

I see a few years of work ahead of me. I might have to get a journal to keep me on track.

New year, new me. And no following @likeadad

No comments:

Post a Comment