Monday, October 3, 2016

Dolly Parton and growing up dirt poor

We recently went to see Dolly Parton perform. Man, it was the BEST performance I have ever attended. She is so sweet. She tells stories on stage and she sings every song without any bells and whistles. It's just her and her lovely voice up there. She has a great sense of humor as well and her laugh is like bells chiming in the wind. If I could invite one person over for dinner, it might be her. Full of spunk even at the age of 70.


As I said, she tells stories on stage about her life, her growing up and how it inspired the songs she sang. She did share that her mother and father really had a huge influence on her life. Her mother and father married at the age of 15 and 17, respectively. They had 12 kids! And they managed to always have a roof over their heads and a bed to sleep on, even if the kids had to sleep three or four to a bed. She told a story of how hard her father worked and how giving her mother was. How talented her mother was - she could cook anything and have it taste good. She could make anything and have it turn out well. Those were Dolly's words about her mother.

I often wonder about my own child and the things she has. She really has TOO MUCH STUFF! Stuff coming out of her ears...out of every crevice in her bedroom. We are the guilty ones of course. She didn't run out to buy those things herself. And really, to be honest, sometimes I feel like, "Ohh, D should have that..." when I go to her friend's houses and they have a whole mini Lego set complete with house and everything. Or her other friends who have Calico Kritters and an entire wardrobe to dress them. But, really, I try to simplify and simplify. And the more I simplify the more I forget even what good gifts might be for the general public. (But that is a whole other topic - gifting)

Anyhoo, I feel like that who have less or grew up with less have a whole heck of a lot more appreciation for their childhood and their parents. I wonder if my child will grow up and have such respect for her parents who worked hard to provide her with everything that she has. Or, will she remember that her entire childhood was spent hearing, "No, you don't need that" coming out of my mouth when we go out. I am trying my best not to clutter her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment