Saturday, June 6, 2015

Tiger Nuts


Yes! Tiger Nuts! Love them. A friend of mine recently turned me onto Tiger nuts. These are not actually nuts, they are tubers, so if you make Tiger nut milk, it is actually a very good alternative to nut milks for those that may be allergic to nuts.


But even more so, these are awesome because they are a prebiotic, which means they support the good bacteria in your gut. A very big thank you to Nourished Kitchen for her post on tiger nut milk and all its good qualities:

Tigernuts are a rich source of nourishment, and remain a significant source of food for both the poor and the wealthy  throughout northwest Africa.  They’re rich in minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus, as well as vitamins C and E.  They’re a good source of oleic acid (a monounsaturated fat also found in olive oil, avocado and pork fat), and which is associated with increased HDL (good) cholesterol levels.

I shared the "nuts" and the milk with my family - the in-laws and both my FIL and my SIL were sold! They both immediately jumped on Amazon to purchase these yummy morsels of goodness.

In fact, we ate some straight from the bag (as the bag states) and we also soaked some and ate them. We preferred the soaked version - quite tasty, for sure! Sweet and meaty.  And actually, the tiger nut milk is naturally sweet on its own. We drank it straight without adding any cinnamon or vanilla and it was delicious.

I'm super excited that this is a prebiotic and a wonderful addition to our diet. I also must say how much I love my mommy friends from whom I gain a wealth of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment