Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Unexpected deliciousness



A while back I had accidentally ordered Sprouted Oat Groats from To Your Health.  This is where I usually buy my ROLLED oats as they are sprouted and a friend turned me onto this company.  Apparently, they don't roll your oats until the order is placed so it's really fresh.


I thought about returning the oat groats, but then because it was such a large bag and was going to be sort of a pain to return, I just kept the 5lb bag of Oat Groats.

Yesterday morning, we had a lovely bowl of deliciousness for breakfast.  Turns out, I really like oat groats because they offer texture.  They are wonderfully chewy in a dish.  I cut up a bunch of fruit (peach, nectarine, plum) then heaped a spoonful of oat groats over that.  Topped it all with homemade raw maple whipped cream made from raw cream that we get from Organic Pastures and sprinkled walnuts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and dried cherries on top.  I'd also add some cinnamon next time. Yum!

Sprouted oat groats can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge.  With rolled oats sometimes I will make overnight oatmeal.  Here's a good recipe from The Yummy Life.  I would imagine I could do the same with my cooked oat groats.  I will try that soon and let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment