Sunday, June 23, 2013

Nut tacos!


Well, hello!  Welcome back.  Hahaha!  I've been lax in posting lately.  We went off to San Francisco to visit family and while I was up there, I chose to spend my spare time catching up on Game of Thrones (season 1!) instead of posting.

Now I'm back.  I just made some Nut Tacos = Raw food for my family last night.  D chose to wrap her tacos in red cabbage, and G and I had two tacos.  One with kale leaves as wrap and the other with red cabbage as wrap.  Both are quite delicious.

Ingredients for nut tacos:

1 c. soaked nuts (can use almonds, walnuts or pecans)
1/2 c. raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. turmeric
cracked pepper
1 bunch of cilantro
2 tsp tamari sauce
1 tsp finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or chile powder
3 Tbs water (for moisture)

Put all above ingredients in a food processor and blend until good texture.

Then you will need:
1 to 2 heads Romaine or Boston lettuce (or red or green cabbage leaves or spinach leaves or kale leaves or nori sheets)
1 medium chopped tomato
1 diced avocado
1 handful of fresh pea or bean sprouts
1 lime - for its juice

Scoop nut meat onto lettuce leaf, add tomato, avocado and bean sprouts.  Sprinkle with lime juice.

Makes for a very beautiful and delicious meal.  Errrm...I did not have any tomatos or lettuce leaves or pea/bean sprouts so I made a red cabbage slaw to go with our tacos.  We had the red cabbage slaw over the weekend at Yank Sing and it was really good.  Luckily, a search on the internet brought up the recipe!  Again, I loves the Internet!  The recipe linked here does not show lemon zest, but our salad was topped with lemon zest and I think that is what makes the dish extra special and flavorful.

For the nut meat portion, I also did not a) soak my walnuts nor b) have any cilantro.  So, instead I added some chopped red onion to the mix to give it a little bit of kick and moisture.  It turned out quite yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment