Monday, June 10, 2013

And in support of my sugar phobia...


I just learned, thanks to the blog 100 Days of Real Food that stevia, despite what we've read is not a natural form of sugar.  (Are we surprised?)  The plant is, but once they process it into packaged stevia, then it's not natural anymore and is actually quite bad because of the additives.  Not that I was using it...
I had my doubts on that product just because I thought the name sounded a bit too clinical.  Turns out the stevia plant itself is fine and pulling the leaves and getting sugar from that is perfectly healthy, just don't buy the packaged kind as a replacement for sugar - it's just as unhealthful.

By the way, 100 Days of Real Food is a really great blog. Check it out if you get a chance - but beware that it will change your outlook on conventional food offerings.  It's that same rabbit hole.  I'd lump her in with Michael Moore, Michael Pollan...Nina Planck.just posted  


Back to the "stevia" post that warns that dextrose is bad and to steer clear of anything labeled "natural flavors"...I mean, truly everything seems to be bad!!  Aaaarrrgh! And from now on, I will only be baking with coconut palm sugar.  Until I read something bad about that.  We really should be avoiding sugar altogether but that is virtually impossible.

I'm on a Stiggly Cleanse right now that has me off sugar for two weeks.  So far, so good. I have not craved any sugar (I hardly ever do) and have actually avoided it!  My challenge, actually, is to try and convince D that sugar is actually very bad for her and she should really try to avoid it at all cost. Of course, the entire world is working against me on this one.  Uh, just today at swim class the teacher ends the lesson with, "And you get a lollipop!"  What?!  What??!  Aren't they supposed to ask the parent for their permission first?  No, apparently not.  Needless to say, we will not be going back to that swim camp.  Although..to be fair, Jack Kramer Tennis Club does seem like a really cool spot!! It's this tennis club plus pool nestled away off of PV Drive North.  If you live in the South Bay, near Palos Verdes, it's definitely worth checking out.  Especially if you have children between the ages of 5 and 18.

In any case, with regards to sugar and D, I shall persevere!  One day...she will understand my obsession and appreciate it and embrace it.  I just know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment