Sunday, July 17, 2016

DIY Shampoo

My SIL emailed me a few weeks back raving about their cousin's hair. It was so lush and shiny! She makes her own shampoo. Of course, I was right on that!!


Coconut milk and Aloe Gel was easy enough. Just mix and freeze. Well...not so much. My hair was getting greasier and greasier by each wash despite the fact that I was also trying to rinse with ACV (also recommended). After re-reading the post I realized that maybe I was using too much of that shampoo each washing. Regardless, I am not in a profession where I can afford to "not be seen" for 6-9 weeks whilst waiting for my hair to adjust. I mean, I was really quite mortified that I had a work meeting and my hair was a greasy flop. (The meeting went well despite).

I then jumped online trying to see if I could find a post from anyone who's used this same DIY shampoo but had a better way of getting it out or whatever. This was beginning to feel like that time I jumped on the "no poo" bandwagon. Didn't go so well. Greasy hair. Didn't love it. And then there was that time I tried to condition with coconut oil and the only way to wash that out was with raw egg. Didn't go so well.

Anyhoooo, I came across this fun post about Rye Flour Shampoo. Of course...what did I do? Ran out and bought a bag of rye flour. I liked this shampoo's usability. It was easy to get through my hair. I didn't realize how hard it would be to get the flour out. I think I rinsed enough times, plus I also poured some ACV through my hair. When I unwrapped my hair, I have bits of flour all throughout!

Even as I'm sitting here typing, if I run my fingers through my hair, bits and pieces of flour are falling out on my keyboard! EEEEKS!!!

What's my problem? Why can't I just stick with any ole shampoo of the shelves like everyone else? I don't know. I kind of feel like I don't really trust that chemicals work that well for skincare, why would it work well for shampoo. Plus I keep reading about pH levels and stuff like that. Would love to just get my hair/scalp back to its regular pH...not that I even know if it's off. I just like to DIY. That's it. Now I'm going to go outside and shake the flour out of my hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment