Wednesday, October 8, 2014

On the subject of Nightshades

Nightshades.  Have you heard that term?  I've heard it being thrown around here and there as a lot of Waldorf school avoid "nightshades" - a group of plants that are considered "toxic".  Grouped in this category are tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, potatoes.  Whaaat?!
We like tomatoes and eggplant and sometimes the occasional potato (save for the piles of french fries that I like consuming)

I've always asked around and the people who tend to follow this trend of avoiding nightshades have never really been able to give me an answer as to why we shouldn't eat.

I'm glad that I came across Happy and Raw blog that gives a great detailed description of why nightshades might be considered harmful.  My takeaway is just as with everything else, "everything in moderation"  And, I'm glad to read that it's safer to buy these vegetables at the farmer's markets where we know they've been able to fully ripen.  Well, that's reassuring since I pretty much only shop at farmer's markets.  Luckily, we have 5 million all around us. We sure are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment