Thursday, May 1, 2014

If...Then

Lately, I have been trying VERY HARD not to use the "if...then" proposition.  If you don't do X, then you will not get Y.  That sort of thing.

I've heard it being repeated back to me by my sweet darling.  "Well, if you want me to do X, then you will have to give me Y..."


Uhh, no.  That is not going to work for me.  The "if, then" proposition, in my opinion, is just not a successful strategy.  Though I am having a hard to finding a different, more successful one.  It seems so easy just to throw out, "If you don't get dressed now, then we will not go to horse lessons..." or something of the like.  Is it conditioning?  Was that how it was presented to me as a child?  I don't know.  But, I don't like it.  I need something different.

What I am trying to get at, is "DO IT!"  So, why am I trying to negotiate?  Plus, I really hate taking away something of value to get what I want or making the access of something contingent on my request.  What I want is - I want her to do what I say when I say it!  Is that too much to ask?

I will be participating in a Creative Discipline workshop given by Stephen Spitalny next weekend at Maple Village Waldorf School and it cannot come at a better time!!  It has been quite challenging sometimes to get D to do things, particularly when she is tired and really feels like being uncooperative.

No comments:

Post a Comment