Sunday, May 25, 2014

Comfort food

There are several foods that are deemed "comfort foods" - mac n' cheese, chicken soup, etc.

For me, I just realized what my comfort food is.  It's oxtail soup aka cabbage soup, but made with oxtail.  In my case, I've been making it with buffalo tail since that's what the local meat guy at my farmer's market has.  I love it.


It just dawned on me that this is definitely my comfort food because I had the soup simmering on the burner the other day and the smell of it just evokes such a wonderful childhood memory.  Nothing in particular but just the sense of childhood anticipation and love of this particular soup.  Happiness, really.  It evokes a feeling of happiness for me.

The ingredients are simple - oxtail, cabbage, carrots, onions, sometimes potatoes and tomatoes.  Mayb some garlic.  That's it.  Sear the oxtail in some clarified butter, then remove.  Add in the garlic and onions to cook down a bit then add the cabbage.  Put the oxtail back in.  Add water to cover.  Bring to boil and then simmer for forever.  Then add the carrots, potatoes and tomatoes.  Simmer some more.

This soup seems to get better the day after.

No comments:

Post a Comment