Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Kitchen Rx


Yes!  Your kitchen is chock full of great homeopathic alternatives to the conventional.  Say, like coconut oil - great for cooking, moisturizing, oil-pulling...

The other night, the babes had a very dry cough. It sounded terrible and pained me to hear her.  I had to get up and google a good homeopathic cough suppressant.  And, of course, the Internets never disappoints, does it?  This is what I pulled up: 1tsp cayenne pepper, 1tsp ground ginger, 1Tbs honey, 1Tbs apple cider vinegar.

I mixed up a batch without water (as per one comment on the post) and fed it to her.  She cried from the heat of the cayenne. (whoops!) but then fell back asleep and...never coughed again!! For the entire night!  Yes, it works!

Well, last night, I tried to be preemptive and fed her the same syrup right before bed.  NOT a good idea. She wailed and wailed from the pain (of the cayenne).  Had to wash it down with water. Then another spoonful of honey.  Dad was almost ready to run in there with a glass of milk.

Luckily, when I was gushing over this remedy with my "mama" friends, a dad piped up and said, "Supposedly, you can use cinnamon instead of cayenne pepper.  It has the same anti...whatever properties."  But only true cinnamon. I think I remember reading something about true cinnamon.  Then I went and bought Korintje cinnamon thinking that was the true cinnamon - too much information out there.  But that is the cinnamon that I used.  I fed my new concoction to her this morning when she had a coughing spell and it worked!!  I love going to my pantry to find alternatives to store-bought cough syrup that is LOADED with sugar and even alcohol that never seems to be as effective anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment