Thursday, May 3, 2018

Natural flavors is to food as...

Fragrance/parfum is to beauty/cosmetics! Whaaat? Yes, do not be fooled by the ingredient "natural flavors." That makes me sad, though I am not surprised. Sad because I have sometimes been excited about minimal ingredients in my packaged food and have overlooked the natural flavors as an ingredient that should cause me to pause. Not sure why, I certainly avoid all skincare/beauty products that have fragrance/parfum as an ingredient because they can hide any number of toxic ingredients under that label.


Vani Hari of The Food Babe has a very interesting post about natural flavors, quite scary, actually. And, depressing because now this is yet another ingredient that we need to avoid...along with HFCS, palm oil, all the toxic preservatives in snacks and now natural flavors. Read the post and you would be hard pressed to disagree at all.

Why do Americans eat more calories than any other industrialized nation? It’s not because we have more money or are more hungry. It’s because our food supply is chemically produced and enhanced with these “natural flavors” along with extra fat, extra salt and extra sugar and it’s EVERYWHERE and we are being TARGETED. 

Actually, a mom friend of mine made me aware of this as she herself avoids natural flavors so, of course, I had to look into it more too and now I too will be avoiding natural flavors. The hubs will be glad because he hates that we buy La Croix "natural soda". It has natural flavors so now we won't be buying it.

After reading the Vani Hari post, I immediately ran to the fridge to look at the ingredients in my Trader Joe's mayo and mustard. Happy to report - no natural flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment