Monday, April 30, 2018

Mothers...motherhood

Gwyneth Paltrow interviews her mother, Blythe Danner on her Goop podcast. This interview brought tears to my eyes because it exemplifies how mothers often feel like they weren't good enough. I felt sad that Blythe diminishes her influence on her daughter, always attributing G's good qualities to her father. We never seem to recognize our gifts as mothers and we really give so much...from the moment we give birth, actually. Am I right?


Some people believe that children pick their parents and I truly believe they do. My child recognized that I have gifts to give her, but I had to step up and recognize it too. They come to this earth to teach us that we are valuable. We are more than we think we are. I think as parents we accomplish so much in the effort to provide the best for our children, yet, we lose sight of the beauty of our transformation, both in relation to our child and in our partner relationships because of the grind of life. We simply do not sit in quiet and ponder how this child has come to be...warm, kind, successful, generous. Blythe does ponder it but not with an appreciation for what she's brought to the table, but rather she just marvels that this child turned out the way she did. How did that happen? And it's because of her mother. Mothers are very influential in our children's lives.

Blythe speaks about Gwyneth's "otherness." And, I think all children come into this world with their own "otherness" and as parents it really our job not to push our ideals onto our children but to be intuitive and observe what unfolds to support their otherness. Their divine gift.

I'd like to applaud Gwyneth Paltrow for inviting her mother in for an interview. It seems a way to thank her mother for being this wonderful influence that has made her what she is today and help her mom to see her great value as an individual and a role model.



No comments:

Post a Comment