Saturday, July 18, 2015

Toothpaste!...And then some

It was my intention to post on some toothpaste brands that I am currently fond of...until I found the ingredient list to the most recent one that I bought - Auromere, and found that it contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)!  Ummm...according to Dr. Mercola:


Lest you shrug these findings off, thinking that your exposure is "insignificant," think again. Did you know that, if you use conventional cosmetics on a daily basis, you can absorb almost five pounds of chemicals and toxins into your body each year? 

I mean, the box and all the paperwork inside (which, if I recall, included nothing about ingredients) stated that it's an Ayurvedic herbal toothpaste, that it includes over 25 roots and barks...



This is EXACTY why I appreciate a brand like Beautycounter whose sole purpose is SAFETY in its products. Safety and efficacy. They do not tout organic or natural. Only SAFE, EFFECTIVE products for our skin! I don't have to go fishing around for the small print. Yes, there are plenty of other brands out there that are safe and work...but sometimes I don't feel like wasting my money trying to find out if a brand is actually safe or if it's hiding something in its ingredients. Sometimes, I don't feel like sitting in a store researching the ingredients from my phone to make sure it's safe before purchasing, only to find out after a few uses that it doesn't work.  Too bad Beautycounter doesn't make toothpaste. 

But that's okay, I have a few other favorite brands for toothpaste. One is Weleda I actually like all of Weleda's products because it is an Anthroposophic brand so of course I am a fan. Waldorf education is based on Anthroposophy as well. But in toothpaste I've been using the Salt toothpaste and the baby has used the Children's formula and likes it. Other products - I love the Skin Food moisturizer.

Another brand of toothpaste we like is Earthpaste! I did discover it at the Food Expo West I attended earlier this year, but found it at Whole Foods. It comes in a delightful array of "flavors" which the baby likes.

If you are using Tom's Maine toothpaste, I would advise against it as it too contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. People seems to love the Silly Strawberry...maybe because Tom's of Maine touts itself as a green company? And the packaging is cute and it's available at Trader Joe's?

Tom's of Maine, by the way, has been part of the Colgate Palmolive family since 2006.

Anyhoooo...check your toothpaste! And unless you've found some truly green brands that you love, I definitely think you should check out Beautycounter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment