Friday, December 22, 2017

Clean eats

Growing up, I can't say I had the best eating habits. A product of the American diet for sure, I was eating sugar ladened cereals (luckily I actually hated milk - esp non-fat, must've been my body's early intuition), LOTS of candy, loved McDonald's..etc.


Again, luckily, I had Chinese parents that while they caved to some (hmm, maybe just one) of the conveniences of the American diet - cereals, my mom was pretty adamant about real food Chinese dinners. That meant, two veggie dishes, one meat dish, rice and soup for dinner every night. All the veggies were usually quick stir fried in oil and garlic. So simple, just the actual flavors of the veggies that shined through. Though as children we begged and pleaded for burgers and pizza, those were just very rare "treats." Isn't it a pity that toxic, gross things that are available to us are often seen as "rare treats" because it's widely available and everyone else seems to get them but we (or now my child) only gets it once in a blue moon.

Why does our society see maybe funnel cakes, ice cream and Halloween candy as sort of "rites of passage"...perhaps it's adults nostalgic for their childhood. Dunno, but it's a bit irritating.

Oh but wait, that is not the point of this post. The point of this post is that it seems the more clean my eating has gotten, the more I am in tune with my body and it's actually rejecting sugars! Whaat? Yes, it's very weird. I literally cannot eat more than one store bought cookie and sometimes depending on what's in that cookie, for some reason, that will ruin my sugar appetite for the day. I once had a piece of zucchini bread for breakfast (as I was running out the door) and it was too sweet! Who's ever heard of that? Too sweet for my current palate and it ruined by appetite for the day. Too much cheese also doesn't seem to agree with my body.

It's very interesting what happens to the body as we clean up our eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment