Monday, July 10, 2017

Conscious consumerism

Conscious consumerism is...liberating. At least that is what I'm finding it to be. The other day, I ran to Barnes and Noble at the Americana and there were big ads announcing that & Other Stories has opened across from the fountain.
The old me, non-aware shopaholic would've LOVED to go check out the store and see what there is to buy. But the new, conscious consumer me just looked the other way. It feels good to not be enticed by brands that aren't doing anything to support the environment, people or something to better the earth and its inhabitants. I find it liberating.
I am a heavy shopaholic. But as I am trying to be more conscious of where I am putting my money it feels good to have spent a day and not bought anything.
We just went to the renegade craft fair and though I saw a lot of interesting things, I only walked away with some dog treats for my dog and that's just because we ran out of treats. The real win would've been if I walked away and didn't buy anything.
I really think it is important, as a consumer, to be really mindful of where we put our money. Yes, it can be tedious to have to ask so many questions. But in the end it supports the greater good. Fast fashion doesn't help anyone yet harms millions, from the environment to the people. Same with toxic beauty and personal care products. Why support brands that aren't being progressive or thoughtful and just making products to put money into their own pockets without any concern about the damage their product wreak? I don't want to live like that.
I'm also realistic and recognize my limits. I really envy those that can live a zero waste life or live so minimally that they literally only have maybe 12 pieces in their wardrobe that they interchange, sleep on the floor, never buy any extraneous anything. I really envy them and know I can never achieve that. Maybe it's because I don't want to achieve that kind of minimalistic life. At the end of the day, shopping does bring me pleasure. Fashion does bring me pleasure so the best I can do is dive deeper and make sure the brands that I support are moving the needle in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment