Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Being Vegetarian

The fams and I went vegetarian in July. I think I posted about that. But, truthfully, we had been heading that direction anyway. Personally, I was really only eating meat that we purchased from small farmers and I knew they weren't torturing the animals. So essentially not eating meat out.


What I don't really understand from people is why when they hear we are vegetarian, they will say something like, "okay, well make sure you are getting the proper nutrients your body needs..." I mean, why do they say that? Do they think that meat and animal proteins are more nutritious than plants?? I've never thought that. Plants are part of us. This is a good article on clean proteins.

Most astonishing is the statistic that they share - 97% of Americans are getting more than enough protein in their diet, yet 97% of Americans are not getting enough fiber. Hellllooo...fruits and veggies (and not just juices)

I have been a vegetarian before. Twice in my life and this time definitely feels different. Whereas before, I ate a lot of cheese and crackers, this time around my diet is colorful and bountiful. Probably comes with age and access.

I am also thankful that a good majority of restaurants offer plentiful vegetable options that isn't just mac and cheese or pasta with broccoli. Really inventive fare. Plus, there's always Veggie Grill. Probably not the healthiest of proteins, but fun and lots of variety nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment