Wednesday, April 11, 2018

My mother and myself as mother

Does anyone ever compare their parenting with that of their parents? I don't necessarily think "compare" is actually the word I am looking for. I'm not necessarily comparing my parenting to that of my mother's but I do have flashbacks of what my childhood was like in certain scenarios as I act out something different.


For instance, in the morning, D is usually pretty good about waking up. She's a morning person, for sure. But there will be days (like during time changes) where she has a hard time waking up. On those mornings, I quietly sail into her room and softly say, "Good morning. It's time to wake up." I'll walk over and rub her back a bit and give her a big fat kiss..well, if she let's me. Sometimes, she hates that I've woken her up. And in moments like that I think back to my childhood and my mom was really just a very sensible person. She's not coming into the room all soft and sweet to wake me up. If I've overslept then "Get up! Get your ass to school!" was what I got. Hahaha! No fault, just no niceties because everyone's gotta get up and get going.

And then I wonder, will this kindness exhibited by me an impact on my child? At the very least, it probably makes for a less grumpy morning.

I wonder if motherhood is a lot of that. Reminiscing to our own childhoods and thinking about how we can break the cycle if need be. It's definitely a journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment