Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Shades of Gray

And no, I am not talking about that movie with Dakota Johnson. I'm talking about being an "activist" or a conscientious being. It doesn't have to be black and white. In fact, an all or nothing attitude can be self-defeating.

I was just at a Conscious Capitalism LA event and got to talking to a new acquaintance
about the all or nothing approach that pretty much kills any attempt at trying to make a difference in our actions. We talked about how shades of gray, in other words, baby steps is good enough. Just start somewhere!

There are so many issues in this world that could use our support - a vote, an action, an awareness to do better and inspire change. Shoot, I can think of the following off the top of my head: safer vaccines (or are so many even necessary? What is the efficacy?), animal abuse, industrial farming, industrial agriculture, GMO, clean beauty, LGBTQ, racial discrimination, sexism, higher wages, plastic straws, unsustainable fashion cycle, child labor, global warming...the list goes on.

What resonates with you? Start somewhere.

Case in point with my search for a new bathing suit. I really wanted to find a bathing suit from a company that used recycled materials. And, in my quest I did come across several promising brands - Vaute, Faherty, Vitamin A - but was so afraid to pull the trigger without trying anything on first. They are kind of expensive...

Luckily, we happened upon a Faherty store in NYC and their pieces, which are primarily made from recycled plastic bottles (win!) actually fit well! Bought one. I also looked at Boden because they always have some great styles for children. And in looking at their website, I found that they have a pretty decent ethical trade and green policy. So while their swimsuits may not be made of recycled materials, at least when I purchase something from them I know that the money is going to support a business that is thinking about the environment and taking steps to lessen their impact.

That's what I mean by Shades of Gray. I have to be okay with just going with shades of gray sometimes - for my own health and the health of my pocketbook. It can't be an all or nothing approach. But at least I'm definitely conscientious in my purchases. I'm starting somewhere.

Imagine what the world would be like if every single person picked a cause that resonated with them and actively worked to make a change. I think the world would be in a much better place. I mean, really work to make change, even if it's in our thoughts. Thinking about how you'd like to make a change is definitely a first step. Take it. Start somewhere.

And in the meantime, try to just shop with those brands that are practicing conscious capitalism. They actively work to make the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment