Monday, March 3, 2014

You show me yours...

And I'll show you mine.  EEEKS!!!  What do those words conjure up in your mind?  Dread is what is conjures up in mine.  But you usually expect something like that when your kid is a teenager, no?  Or am I just a dinosaur?


Well, I experienced the equivalent today when D had her first boy play date.  The mother and I were talking and she says, "Uh, they are awfully quiet in there.  The kids are in the bathroom together."  Harmless right?  This is what I heard as I walked towards the bathroom to check - I hear the tail end of the boy's sentence "...and pee comes out."  The boy is 2.5 years old.

I announced, "What are you kids doing in there?" before opening the door to find D saying, "Nothing." All the while looking like the cat who swallowed a mouse and the little boy quickly pulling his pants up.  Ayayay...really??  Of course his mother and I laughed about it.  It's fine for kids to be curious at this age...right?...Right??....Noooooooooooooo...

I kind of looked at her and said, "How do you address this?"  And she shrugged her shoulders, just as clueless as I and said, "I guess you just ignore it right?  I mean, it's harmless and you don't want to make a big deal.."  Well, that sounded about right to me.

After the play date was over, I decided I would address it if D had any questions or brought up what they were doing.  But she didn't.  I asked, "So, did you have a fun play date today?"  And D said, "yes."  Later she mentioned having a fun time again and recanted how fun it was spraying their water bottles outside.  I just reminded her not to spray water at people when playing.

No word of the "educational/discovery" activity was mentioned. I think I might mention it to the teacher tomorrow to get her thoughts.  I really don't want to have the "birds and the bees" talk.  I didn't get it and I'm fine.  But then again, I was also not having play dates with boys.  EVER. Until I was in junior high.  Hmm, maybe that's the answer.  No more boy play dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment